Monday, March 29, 2010

The Passing of a Giant

My dad was always a giant among men to me. Between the ages of 13 to 45, I never beat him in a game of tennis - talk about a blow to my self esteem. I'd get ahead and he would hunker down and grit his teeth, then charge the net and kill me once again. I might have beat him after he went blind, but you never know....

On March 19th, my 33rd wedding anniversary, my dad passed away from complications following a major stroke on Wednesday, March 17th. The prior photo with the guns was taken just 2 weeks prior to this life-ending stroke, showing that he was smiling and enjoying life up until the final moment.

Do I believer in life after death? Dang right! There is no way this guy won't be my dad in the life to come. I am so thankful for the faith I cherish that gives me a view of what awaits in the future. Maybe we can have a rematch, playing tennis on a net strung up by the pearly gates. He'll still beat me, but that will be half the fun.

1 comment:

  1. I guess maybe I should take some tennis lessons so I can at least attempt to keep up in a game with Grandpa? Maybe I'll challenge him to a Wii tennis match!

    ReplyDelete