Thursday, February 12, 2009

Smecto-pectate



Everyone has heard of kaopectate, that helpful white kaolin clay product that you take to end the squirts, when all else fails. But have you ever heard of smectopectate, the related product made with Wyoming Bentonite. Smectite is a highly expansive clay that sorbs water into its structure and can swell up to 1000 times its dry volume. I tried this little known product for some mild indegestion and noticed one of its more interesting side effects, as shown in the photo. I'm glad I only took 1 tablespoon of the stuff, or I might not be here today. My son thought my agony was really funny. Kids! Moral of the story: Stick with kaolin-based anti-squirt products and avoid gut splitting problems associated with expansive clays.

4 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh Dad, you are unbelievable!!! And at risk of having you laugh at me, is kaopectate seriously a clay? You are too funny. This is my favorite post so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaopectate is an anti-poop formula made using kaolin clay. The clay minerals plate out on the intestinal walls and quiet the nervous bowel syndrom that leads to explosive eruptions of the darkest kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe that I am married to this man? And I love him to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I cannot believe that that is for real!!!!!! Now I have a new fact to wow my friends with at the next get-together. Oh, the things I learn with a geologist for a dad!!! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete