Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Art of Clays


Sometimes, when looking at things that are really small with a really good scanning electron microscope, you see things that remind you how beautiful and complex nature is, right down to the level of these tiny clay minerals. Whether it is "hairy illite" (you guess which one that is) or tiny remnants of solid hydrocarbon trapped in the "taco shell" of some grain-rimming iron-rich chlorite, it makes you pause and wonder who wrote the plan for these things. A lot of folks think oil just gushes from the ground and is easy to find and produce. So mnay of the rocks that contain oil have these darn clays plugging everything up that production of any fluid is very difficult. 90% of Americans don't have a clue how difficult it is to find and produce oil and gas. Just as long as it comes out a nozzel at the gas pump for a reasonable price, they don't want to know what it took to get there. Keep driving!

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure 90% of Americans know how to produce gas very well....especially if they hang out with you at all! Awesome pictures, I love the 'taco-shell' description! Now, I need to go gas up my car.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to agree with your description of America...but then I read Jackie's comment and I'm torn....she makes a good point!

    ReplyDelete